Saturday, August 23, 2014

Outfit of the Day - The Faux Leather Skirt

This weeks outfit post features something of a brave choice for me, a faux leather skirt which I purchased recently from Zara. I decided on faux leather mainly because genuine leather pieces are a wee bit pricey and I wasn't convinced that I could pull off a leather skirt so didn't want to commit to spending vast amounts of money. Obviously, I acknowledge a leather piece would last forever.

As this is entirely out of my comfort zone, I decided to keep things pretty simple.
I'm obviously going for a moody look here so please forgive me! I am happy honest! Anywho, today I am wearing:

Skirt: A-Line Faux Leather Skirt - Zara - £25.99
Top: Poisoned Lovers Modal-Blend t-Shirt - Zoe Karssen 
Blazer: H&M 
Shoes: New Look Pointed Pumps
Necklace: Beaverbrooks

So, first things first, that skirt. I'm sure you'll notice leather skirts and trousers look set to make a serious comeback this autumn. I'd had a fair old look around before settling on this little beauty. Trousers just weren't for me, I've got fairly large thighs (runners thighs as my Dad would say) and regardless of sizing I just could not get them up over my thighs, or my calves for that matter so trousers were definitely out when it came to trying the leather trend.
The only option left for me was the faux leather skirt and I was presented with a fair few choices in terms of cut, the midi-pleated, the skater, the a-line and of course the classic pencil skirt.  I felt the skater skirt was a little young, whenever I do see women braving a leather skirt (faux or otherwise) they always look classy and sophisticated so the skater skirt, whilst gorgeous just didn't fit with the ascetic I was going for. The pleated midi didn't quite look suitable for anyone who's a little on the short side either.
Whilst the pencil skirt is a classic, it was just too fitted for me and I was stepping out of my comfort zone quite enough with this piece as it was. I really do love the skirt I opted for, I think the cut is flattering as it sits exactly where it should on my waist and hits just above my knee. The panels gives the skirt that little something else, almost everything I've seen so far has been one solid piece of material so this breaks things up nicely.
The lose fitting t-shirt and pointed flats keep things casual. I wasn't convinced by the addition of the blazer  at first but I needed something to cover my arms when things got a little cooler in the evening.  I was conscious of the outfit being overly monochrome and formal but looking back, I think the blue adds a nice pop of colour.

I can see me getting a lot of use out of this skirt and reckon it'll look cute paired with chunky knitwear when the temperature starts dropping and it could even be smartened up with a flowing blouse and heels.

Finally, to prove I really was pretty perky, here's an OOTD selfie from yours truly.

Have you tried the leather trend (faux or otherwise)? How would you style this skirt?






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)