Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Tuesday Tasties No.27

Rejoice Tuesday Tasties fans for I about to share you with you another delicious cake recipe. It's been a while since I shared some bits and pieces for those of you with a sweet tooth, so I suppose you're about ready for another bite of cake based cherry. 

Apple Streusel Cake
 
Is it a cake or is it a crumble, who cares really? What matter is that this thing is delicious served on it's own with a nice cup of tea, or with some home-made vanilla ice cream (or store bought if you're so inclined!). I should start this weeks edit by saying that it was Ad who baked this creation, so all of your awe should be aimed at him.
For this recipe you'll need:
  • 100g unsalted butter, 60g to be soft, the remainder to be chilled.
  • 210g plain flour
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 80ml milk (we use semi-skimmed)
  • 3 Granny Smith Apples
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 70g soft brown sugar
  • ONE 8 INCH PAN
As with most of the recipes I pop on here, the first thing you'll need to do is heat the oven to around 170 degrees and grease your tin with a little butter before dusting with flour.

The first step to making a streusel cake involves making the topping, this being the crispy bit you can see at the top. To do this, sift 70g of the flour and the cinnamon together in a bowl. Then add the chilled 40g of butter and proceed to rub the ingredients together using your finger tips.

After doing this for long enough, the mixture will start to resemble breadcrumbs and will be more in keeping with the crumble toppings which you're no doubt used to seeing. Once you've hit this stage, it's time to mix in the brown sugar before setting things to one side.

Now, grab another bowl.

You're going to add the 60g of softened butter and sugar to the bowl before creaming the two together using an electric whisk. Don't panic if you don't have an electric whisk, you can beat by hand, it'll just take a little longer.

Once the two are nice and fluffy add your egg and vanilla and make sure it's all been incorporated into the mixture.

Next, in a separate bowl sift the remaining flour, baking powder and salt together. Add half of this to your egg/butter/sugar mix along with 40ml of the milk. Give things a good mix together before adding the remaining flour mixture and the remaining 40ml of milk. Again, give things another good mix and ensure that everything is well combined.

Pour everything into the cake tin.

Right, it's time to peel and core your apples before slicing them into quarters. You want to carefully arrange these on top of the cake batter and then pour your streusel topping all over the top. Make sure things are well covered!

Stick this in the oven for around 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Once it's cooked, just leave it to cool.
You can see all the layers in this picture, you get the sponge base, the lovely soft apples and the crunchy crumble style topping. Delicious if I do say so, Ad's a dab hand at this baking lark.

Have you tried a Streusel Cake before? What did you make of it?

This recipe was taken from the Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days cook book, I'm still of the opinion the recipes in here are fool proof!

2 comments:

  1. Off-topic, kinda, sorta. But I made your italian sausage pasta bake last week and it was PHENOM! Kyle was all like, "So, who's Laura? This is amazing." I think I used too much pasta and made my sauce too watery because I was trying to "improvise", but it was still super yum. I've never baked basil into pasta. We always eat it fresh scattered on top or in salads, but I loved it. The anise notes with the fennel in the italian sausage was a flavor explosion. So glad I tried it. Pinned it to my "Tried and True Recipes" on Pinterest so I can revisit it and share it with family and friends.

    I'm not much of a sweets person or a baker, but I will eat a (batch of) chocolate chip cookie(s). If Kyle makes them. So I likely won't be trying this one, but it sounds tasty, too!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm so happy it worked for you!

      Once you've done a recipe once, it's always fun to tweak things slightly to make things work for you and your tastes. There's something so satisfying about that dish and all the cheese, seriously cheese is my weak point, I simply cannot get enough of the stuff.

      Another thing to try is popping some fresh chopped basil into a homemade tomato sauce at the last minute, it works a treat and ensures the flavour doesn't cook off!

      Ad baked me this cake a while ago, he's actually really nifty in the kitchen and knows I've got a terrible sweet tooth :)

      Delete

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)